The Type-25 Munitions Launcher, also known as the Shredder, is a Covenant Anti-Infantry Weapon. It is used by Brute Followers, Brute Leaders and Spec-Ops Jackals.
Overview & Background Edit
The Shredder is the predecessor to the Needler and one of the few ammunition-based weapons used by the Covenant Empire.
Despite having noticeable visual and colouration differences to the Needler, the Shredder operates, fires and affects targets in an almost identical manner; a panel on the top half of the weapon opens to reveal a receptacle, where a chunk of crystalline substance is then placed into it. Once closed, the substance is forcefully projected through holes in the center panel as spikes, turning the Shredder into a powerful melee weapon. When fired, the crystals are fed into the weapon and expelled as piercing shards through the muzzle and towards the target, where they will embed themselves within the target's flesh before detonating and causing extreme internal damage. If seven of these needles make impact with a target before detonating individually, a supercombine explosion will occur that will kill the target instantly. Where the Shredder differs from the Needler is through the ammunition used by the weapon.
The Needler and Shredder use exotic crystals mined from the moon of Suban as ammunition. The colouration of these crystals indicates the strength of their magnetic force, with the red crystals fired by the Shredder being weaker than the Needler's purple crystals, but are found closer to the moon's surface where they can be mined more easily. These red crystals lack the more unique properties of the purple crystals, but are still just as deadly: When fired, they fly in a straight trajectory at greater speeds, capable injuring targets on impact in addition to detonating after a few seconds, essentially striking the target twice in one shot. However, due to the weaker magnetic force of the red crystals, they cannot home in on targets and lack the ability to effectively bypass personal energy shielding, shattering or ricocheting on impact like most ballistic ammunition.
Once easier methods for mining purple crystals were accomplished, the Covenant were able to gain a greater understanding of their properties and how they could be manipulated to be used as ammunition. Through these developments, the Needler was created and eventually phased out the Shredder as standard issue to regular troops. It has been relegated it to the Brutes, who are not seen fit by the Elites to be issued the latest in weaponry. This is a minor issue, as most Brutes enjoy using it since it shares many similarities to that of their traditional Brute Spiker, which saw limited use as it was not widely produced and/or distributed throughout the Covenant Empire. In response to the Flood outbreak of Installation 04, the Shredder was also issued to Spec-Ops Jackals, as its high damage output against non-shielded targets makes it a highly effective weapon against the mostly-unshielded Flood forms.
Gameplay Information Edit
- The Shredder is very effective in eliminating unshielded targets.
- Each needle fired from the Shredder deals damage both on impact with the target, and when the needle detonates.
- Target will also become stunned if they take damage from a Shredder needle, thus allowing the weapon to keep targets stunned until they're killed .
- The Shredder's needles travel much faster than those fired by the Needler.
- Like the Needler, the needles protruding from the top of the Shredder give it a more powerful melee attack than other weapons.
- When 7 of the Shredder's needles become embedded into a target, a supercombine explosion will occur that proves fatal to all targets, including Hunters.
- The Shredder deals extremely low damage to shielded targets. On top of that, Shredder needles will not embed themselves
- The Shredder is also useless against targets that possess some form of heavy armour, such as Hunters (excluding their weak points), Brute Chieftains and vehicles.
- The Shredder has a slower rate of fire than the Needler.
- Unlike the Needler, the Shredder's needles cannot track targets.
- Despite how the needles of the Shredder travel faster and in a straight trajectory, it has a slight spread which makes it ineffective at longer ranges.
Developer Information Edit
The Shredder was added to replace the Brute Spiker as it would have more unique properties with its supercombine detonations, as well as being able to do damage on impact and detonation of individual needles. This gives it the ability to stun targets twice as long as other projectile based weapons, as enemies will flinch on both the impact and detonation. In addition, the fact it is not just a brute weapon lets it appear in the hands of more Covenant foes than the traditional Spiker would.
As a result, in your own maps you should be using these primarily as part of a Brute pack, with at least one Brute wielding any plasma weaponry to accompany a Shredder-wielding Brute. In Flood encounters, there are a variety of Savage and Spec-ops Covenant variants that wield the shredder as it is one of the Covenant's most effective anti-Flood weapons.
- The weapon originally appeared in The Silent Cartographer: Evolved (a sister project by CMT), but functioned differently in terms of gameplay: the weapon was a Covenant shotgun/Brute Mauler type weapon that had an 8 needle magazine and fired 3 Needles per round.
- The weapon's model and animation were modified to be used as a replacement to the Brute Spiker, given it's ability to be used by more species and it's unique properties.
- The shotgun type version of it was never intended to be used in SPV3, as the Brute Plasma Pistol existed as a shotgun with anti-shield properties and a secondary fire.
|v • d • e||Covenant infantry weapons in SPV3|
|Plasma Pistol (Brute variant • Void's Tear) • Plasma Rifle (Brute variant) • Shredder • Focus Rifle • Particle Carbine • Needler • Brute Shot • Hunter Assault Cannon (Beam • Fuel Rod • Shade) • Energy Sword (Unusable) • Jackal Shield • Plasma Grenade • Gravity Grenade • Cluster Grenade|